Thursday, August 13, 2009

Buying a surfboard

I'm in a buying a surfboard sort of mood. Not an actual surfboard but a metaphorical surfboard. The sort of thing that becomes a vehicle of self determination. I met a guy once who had moved to California from the east coast and though by day he was a mild mannered (and very square) accountant, he decided that he wanted to be a surfer and so he bought a surfboard, began surfing and with that simple act became what he wanted to become. Crazy simple.

That's the mood I'm in. Maybe it's the beginning of the school year approaching. Which does signal the end of sloth and a necessary adherence to a schedule, is a new beginning and a sort of freedom that comes with having a schedule. Responsibilities are not inherently bad and I'm almost ready to pick up my fair share again. With that is a responsibility to myself. That's the most exciting (and scary) one. I do love the idea of deciding who and what you want to be and how you want to live your life and then trying to make it happen. And I'm in the sort of mood where I believe in all of it.

I'm going to go do something about the god awful pink bedroom. It's a start.

1 comment:

nikki said...

You make me feel like an unenlightened slacker :) Maybe I should buy a surfboard, too.

I want to come and help you paint that awful bedroom. and I've decided you should lay some really soft and comfy/snuggly carpet in it. thoughts?