Sunday, June 5, 2011

June 5th

Here is the invitation I sent out as a group, though not quite mass, text: "If anyone is free I'm doing a mostly impromptu bbq tomorrow, 5/6ish. (But fair warning, my house will probably not be clean and my dog is annoying.)

I got mocked for the text, but my house filled up anyway. I didn't think that was going to be the case, but happily all the "Maybe I'll swing by" responses found my house and I kept pulling out lawn chairs.

There were five dogs and 12 beautiful people and food that made everyone smile. What had been clear hot day (the very first of the year) flowed into a clear lovely night. And what I appreciated the most was that the group was simply a gathering of people, all smart, funny and friendly and really that's all a group of people need to go on. Moving from space to space I could hear and take parts in snippets of conversation and simply enjoy these people who I so admire.

My brother organized bocce ball and blends easily into mixed and varied company. And my handsome friend manned the grill and had to put up with more than one person whispering, "Is that him?". Neither of which he had any qualms about. He and I spent the day shopping and working, playing and talking. This morning I am thinking about the question my mom asked several months ago, "Does he make your life easier?"

At the time the answer was no, but I wasn't expecting him to... upon this morning's consideration, I find that the answer is yes, having him with me yesterday made the day both easier and simply better. Lucky me! (But, how the hell did that happen?)

No comments: