Sunday, January 24, 2010

all sorts of productive

Fueled by the ambitious goal setting of yesterday morning, or perhaps the near sixty-degree January temperatures, I was all sorts of productive yesterday.

Here is what I accomplished yesterday:

1. Mundane things, dishes, dog, laundry as well as…

2. Painted some more of the study…. Now an observant reader or anyone who has been to or seen pictures of my house might question this. It is done, that fabulous pink I love so much right? Alas no, all but one wall has been painted since early summer, but there had previously been a set of attached bookshelves that had dissuaded me from finishing. I convinced my parents to move this shelf on their most recent trip up here and it freed up the wall (ugly blue, not pink black or white), it also gave a much more user-friendly space. So, yesterday I put two coats of black and white, leaving room for an approximately 12 –inch stripe of pink and the room will be done. (ugh, except the baseboards…all through the house).

3. Pulled up decaying tomato and pepper plants from the garden.

4. Cut back a bunch of dried out perennials. I’m not sure if this is what you’re supposed to do, but hopefully springtime will find new growth in those same spots. Or are you supposed to just let them wither away?

5. Did a cursory check and removal of invasive bad guys black berry and English ivy growing along the fence line.

6. I pruned a few trees whose limbs were infringing upon the personal space of the power lines in front of my house.

7. I cleaned the gutters at the front of the house.

A note about 6 & 7: over the summer I purchased a 10 foot ladder, and while it is incredibly handy to do things like prune trees and clean gutters, the thing is a beast, and heavy enough that it’s hard to manipulate. Pair that with the approximately 18 inches of space between the monster rhododendron bushes and my house and it was more than a little difficult to get to the gutters to clean them out. At the point when I had the ladder stuck, upside down and was swearing and yanking at it, (all the time watching the power lines over my head and wondering what would happen if I were to accidentally hit them with this 10 foot metal behemoth) the mail woman drove by. She smiled sweetly and said, “it looks like you have a project on your hands.”

Oh yes, I felt like a competent homeowner at that moment.

Post: 2 of 319
Days skipped: 0

No comments: