Saturday, January 30, 2010

party trick

Salsa is my party trick and it's a good one, I've been getting requests, as in "You're invited to my birthday party, but you can't come unless you bring salsa." And she was serious. I was late and got an angry call because a co-worker's husband whom I had made salsa for as a thank you for the use of their truck, refused to eat anything until I showed up with the salsa. Someone else was reminiscing about eating salsa YEARS ago (I mean like 15) at my house growing up.

It's good to have skills. And I like it because it's easy. Especially since acquiring the food processor (oh, how I love thee).

But, like many things I make I don't actually have a recipe. I mean, I know how to make it, but there's no set proportions. If I were to guess it would look something like this:

1 bunch cilantro: washed, trimmed and chopped as finely as possible (food processor)
tomatoes 7-10 chopped (I chop a few in the food processor and then the rest by hand)
1 small/med onion chopped as finely as possible
1 jalapeno: seeded and again chopped as finely as possible

All of those are about the right amount of ingredients, the rest is to taste.
lime juice: fresh squeezed 2 or 3 limes
salt
pepper
garlic powder

and two secret ingredients
beer (it doesn't usually matter what type, and this can be omitted if there will be little ones eating)
pace picante sauce

mess with the proportions until it tastes right.
That's it and you too can impress your friends.

Posts: 7 of 319
Days skipped: 1

No comments: