Tuesday, February 2, 2010

checking in with the dean of students

One of my favorite administrators is the Dean of Students (DOS). He has a crappy job (he is basically in charge of ALL discipline for my high school of 2200+ students, but he also has a great attitude. I stuck my head into his office on the way out of the building today.

Me: Hey, I had something I needed to tell you.
DOS: Oh, good, I needed to talk to you about someone.
Me: No way dude, I already called not it on that new kid.
DOS: What, he's a 19 year old with zero credits, you can change his life.
Me: No really, I'll pass, let someone else carry that torch, he's shown up on my radar for brief moments of time for the past three years. (Each glorious moment, court appointed)
DOS: No, it wasn't him, it's a girl. She's even nice I think.
Me: I like nice.
DOS: She needs a math credit, why does she need a math credit?
Me: She didn't pass the 3rd grade math test.
DOS: Third grade, oooooh, (he makes a face) I can't help her. How can we get her a math credit.
Me (in my head): I'm not a math teacher, how the hell do I know.
Me (out loud): I don't know how to solve that problem.
DOS: Okay, well, think about that one.
Me: Did we graduate so and so (a kid who had been on my caseload for 4 years and was a jr. when I started).
DOS: Yes, and I got a call from the Navy.
Me: Uh, oh, did you tell them we won't take him back, after a 7 year stint with him we just give them a diploma? (Sort of a non-commital discharge)
DOS: Oh, it's okay, I told him he's all good and really now he's the problem of the US military...he's going to blow his hand off.

(this is just a portion of the conversation, we also discussed two drug dealing twins, a huge pain in our ass who recently transfered, and the ethics of just magic-ing some kids some credits)

Look out world, the class of 2010 is almost upon you because that is how things get done in public education.

No comments: