Monday, February 8, 2010

Fisherman Frank

Back at work today after a quick jaunt down south. I may post more about the trip later, but right now I don't have enough energy. But, here's a funny kid story... Student, who we shall call Fisherman Frank has given me grief all year. He is the sort of kid who pushes my you-will-not-be-a sexist-racist-homophobic-jerk buttons all the time.

The sort of kid whose response to my constant "We don't use the word gay to mean stupid in my class" remark with "Okay, then I'll call him a fag." The sort who is an ass to the bad ass assistant principal and is the only kid I've sent to in-school-suspension all year. But, we are making progress. At the change of the semester he remarked that what he was learning to watch his mouth during the first 18 weeks in my class. A few minutes later I was reminding him again the things we do and do not say in my class and he rolled his eyes in a purposefully exaggerated manner and said, "Yeah, yeah, I'm learning to watch my mouth, you are continuing to teach me."

Progress takes baby steps and more often than not, his remarks are intelligent instead of racist.

Today, Frank was filling out a worksheet, I was helping everyone work on it, but basically they had to read a variety of occupational areas and fill in people who would fit each category. He was making some good connections and working at a good pace.

"So uhhh, who invented that one thing?" He was sort of asking me a question and sort of talking to himself.

"What, the internet? That was Al Gore." I said, loud enough for him to hear, but not to the whole class.

A brief look of confusion crossed his face, "Huh? What, oh (groan)...(voice drops down to nearly inaudible) you're a retard." But, he was grinning as he continued to work.

I laughed, because, I had won. "Yes Frank, but you think I'm funny." He didn't argue. "And besides," I said, "You're not supposed to call me (or anyone for that matter, but that's more than I can tackle) a retard."

He grinned, and kept working, much too smart, this time, to take the bait.

No comments: