Sunday, January 8, 2012

Friends and Soup (butternut squash, sausage and wild rice)



Unfortunately, it is not easy to take pretty or inspiring photographs of soup. But, it was tasty.






In early December two lovely friends came to visit. These ladies have been my friends since elementary school and we have been close since high school. Since then we've managed to keep in touch and remain friends. We like to sit around and marvel at how great we are. They have both surpassed me however and in addition to all the great things we might have in common they are both mothers.

They brought their babies and a Prius packed with more things than I could ever imagine using in two and a half days. They didn't over pack and I was left to realize that I have no idea what it takes to have a baby (or more precisely, a 19 month old and a 21 month old, I'm pretty sure neither of those are technically babies, but you get the idea).

Nikki also brought a butternut squash. Her husband was out of town for more than a week and she knew she wasn't going to use it. I believe her comment was something along the lines of "Stupid boy brought home a squash. What am I going to do with a squash? I don't cook. He's not here to use it. I brought it so it wouldn't go bad."

I didn't bother to point out to her that the beauty of squash is that they last, literally, for months. I took the squash and tonight made soup. This recipe more or less, from food network. I used turkey sausage, non-fat half and half (which my handsome friend finds ridiculous) and threw in some carrots. (http://www.foodnetwork.com/recipes/emeril-live/smoked-sausage-butternut-squash-and-wild-rice-soup-recipe/index.html ) It made a ton, more than enough for me to freeze some for a pregnant friend who is currently stocking her freezer.

2 comments:

nikki said...

I also find non-fat half and half ridiculous. WHAT IS IT MADE OF?!? It can't be actual half and half.

And I was confused for the first half of this post about what the squash had to do with us... So glad I could be useful. :)

Unknown said...

Jeff could tell you what fat free half and half is, but then you fall asleep half way through.

And I was thinking I really don't remember soup but I'm sure it was tasty...