Thursday, July 2, 2009

Happy (oh and 3 days, 3 posts)

Happy is the other current theme. Nice combo huh? Hot pink and happy. There was a brief depressed, angry, annoyed, and alone explosion over the past weekend, and if I think too hard about it it’s easy to fall into one of those four categories, especially when considering the black void that is my romantic life, but it’s day four of doing almost nothing. It doesn’t get much better than that.

Currently ranking in the top set of happy things in my world.

1. The dog park.
I am seriously convinced that any dog park would give Disneyland a run for it’s money in the smiley people/animals department. Where else can happy adults of similar dispositions stand around, and watch exuberant creatures frolic. I mean sure, I suppose that kids playing in the park might be similar, but with dogs there’s so much less responsibility. I don’t constantly have to worry if my dog is going to grow up to be a productive member of society. He won’t. Why? He’s a dog.

2. Rick Riordan’s Percy Jackson series
Young adult lit, maybe even a bit before that, but this series is great. The main character is son of a god, and hangs out at a camp for heroes, has a Cyclops for a half brother and a satyr for a best friend. Oh yeah, and if that wasn’t enough there are all these great esoteric Greek mythological references, none of which I can place but all of which are really interesting.

3. Summer
Not just am I not working. I’m enjoying my summer in not Texas, and while some people may espouse the virtues of the lone star state, and I miss the music, I’d be hard pressed to find ANYONE who would consider it a great place for a summer vacation. It hit 90 here today and might get up to 95 tomorrow, but there’s almost no humidity and the mosquitoes wait until dark to descend. The most taxing thing I’ve done all day was take a yoga class, at 10:30 this morning. How crazy when your workout can go anywhere during your day, it doesn’t have to be squeezed in between IEP meetings and getting home to take the stupid dog out.

4. Projectplaylist.com

This site is idiot proof and I don’t have to buy a darn thing. The best things on my list right now? Katy Perry’s, “Waking Up in Vegas” (which I especially love because the video has a returning character from Bones) and a live version of The Indigo Girls’, “Closer to Fine”. Cake’s, “Rock and Roll Lifestyle” also is on there, really because it makes me feel better about not being a black wearing, tattooed, hipster, and I always love the subtle irony of Portland radio stations playing this song.

1 comment:

nikki said...

you are wonderful and make me smile :)